I started charting my cycle this past month. It may seem surprising/disgraceful that a long-time sex educator, previous penis-in-vagina intercourse participant and now birth doula had no idea how long her cycle was, but that's me. Honestly, I never bothered to pay attention.
Now I know: 29 days. This makes sense since I bleed for between 6-7 days. Anecdotally, my cycle is like clockwork. A celebration!
These days, as a wannabe queer mama, I think about my cycle all the time. There are sixteen cycles between me and the day I start trying to conceive with my wife, (hopefully) by at-home IUI with anonymous donor sperm. Instead of wishing those cycles away, yearning for the day when our dream baby is here with us, I am choosing to revel in this time, to appreciate my body and the gifts it has brought me thus far, grateful in advance for the sweet baby it will bring me in the years to come.
This month and for the next month, I will just count the days. When you don't even know the length of your cycle, this is a good place to start. On my third month, I will start checking & charting my basal body temperature and mucous. That will be a new adventure in learning my body and preparing it to make a new person.
My grin is so big right now :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment